- Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
- Permanent, Full time
- Commonwealth Bank of Australia
- 24 May 18
Senior Legal Counsel (Banking and Technology)
Senior Legal Counsel (Banking and Technology)Job no: 992318
Work type: Permanent full time
Location: South Africa All
The Commonwealth Bank Group is executing a plan to enter and disrupt the South African banking market. This will be achieved through a combination of innovative technology platforms, simple transparent and relevant customer offers, unique and differentiated partnerships and a distinctive focus on digital banking. Our strategy is one of financial inclusion - we are looking to breaking down the barriers to participation in the formal financial system. We will do this through a combination of this ultra-low cost innovative digital banking proposition together with an emphasis on financial literacy where we will deliver the knowledge and understanding that is a prerequisite to trust and participation.
The purpose of the role:
You will provide high value strategic legal services including advice and understanding of the banking and regulatory landscape within which the business functions, transactional work, preparation of documents, legal negotiation and representation in the International Financial Services Legal team, compliance with all banking and regulatory requirements
Perform the following tasks in manner consistent with CBA's values of Integrity, Accountability, Collaboration, Service and Excellence. Our Legal Operating Principles and People Capabilities will be at the forefront of what you do including Customer Focus, Team & Culture, Continuous Improvement, Effective Communication, Judgement and Drive Results.
- Work closely with the Head of Legal South Africa to develop and maintain a detailed understanding of and expertise in the Group's legal practices.
- Work closely with the broader IFS Legal team and the South African business to appropriately manage legal risk.
- Apply this knowledge to provide high value strategic advice, including for significant and complex matters.
- Provide accurate, timely, commercial advice in plain English.
- Ensure deadlines are strictly adhered to.
- Be accountable for customer service outcomes and key relationships with members of the business.
- Take a leadership position on key matters and be a key influencer that is trusted by the business.
- Consistently display behaviours that encourage productive working relationships and a strong performance culture.
- Manage the work flows of this role by appropriately prioritising work and the assignment of tasks.
What will make you successful?
- Law degree and admission in relevant jurisdiction (namely South Africa)
- Substantial (10+ years) comprising banking and financial services, regulatory, commercial and banking law and financial services regulations experience in negotiating, drafting and vetting commercial agreements including software, technology, digital services and Intellectual Property transactions and agreements
- Sound understanding of South African banking and financial services market, regulatory and compliance matters, ICT, Data Privacy and IP law (including commercial arrangements, copyright, patents and trademarks), associated regulatory and compliance matters and issues arising across digital channels including social media
- Exposure in reviewing and negotiation of agreements with suppliers on a global level
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of commercial acumen
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and manage relationships
- Demonstrated judgement in identifying and managing emerging issues
- Strong interest in understanding and contributing to the strategic objectives of the business
- Demonstrated plain English verbal and written communication skills
- Broad risk management (including regulatory and compliance) and corporate governance experience
- Highly developed organisational skills follow- through and the ability to work effectively under pressure and to deadlines
- Ability to convey legal advice clearly and effectively
We are committed to building a respectful and inclusive workplace, appointing the best person for the role, supporting diversity. All information will be held in the strictest of confidence.
Advertised: 08 Aug 2017 South Africa Standard Time
It's our people's talent, initiative, ideas and energy that help us achieve great things, together.