Head, Employee Relations, South & Southern Africa
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
Execution of Cluster ER agenda in line with Group strategy
- Defining and leading the cluster strategy in alignment with the regional and global team strategy, regional business needs and the HR collective agenda.
- Accountable for ensuring all ER products are delivered effectively across the cluster in line with Group policies and local law and legislation.
- For organization change ensure that the appropriate HR support mechanisms are in place and Group policy/procedures are followed for staff e.g. re-organization, re-deployment, redundancy etc.
- Effective management of employee representative bodies (e.g. works councils, unions etc) e.g. effective CBA negotiation (where applicable).
- Actively reduce the cost and reliance on external legal counsel by providing in-house subject matter expertise.
- Provide suitable insights into employee engagement levels to Head of HR, Country Management Teams (CMTs).
- Support the cluster execution of a performance-driven culture.
Translation of country legislation and regulation into pragmatic actions for country/regional teams
- Build external networks and remain up to date with legislative change and developments and be viewed both internally and externally as an expert in the ER field
- Collaborate with HR Legal and Compliance and/or external legal counsel for advice and decision on interpretation of local laws and regulations and ER policies, procedures, cases in-country.
- Primary accountability (where relevant) for communicating with local labor ministries on Employee Relations matters, and HR related policies and procedures.
Senior ER Specialist
- Lead for complex cluster or regional cases, end to end.
- An escalation point for disciplinary and grievance appeals, within the cluster/ region.
Defining and managing employee-related risk across the Cluster
- Identify, assess, and monitor cluster and country ER process risks in line with overall operational risk management framework.
- Create and implement suitable actions to mitigate identified risks.
- Understand current local employment and discrimination law in local and international jurisdictions, together with employee trends to anticipate and minimize employee related risks.
- Oversight and management of any relevant country Group Policy and process dispensations across the Cluster.
- Lead the resolution of highly sensitive/complex disciplinary and grievance cases in the Cluster that create significant risk to the Bank.
Education and Training of HR and Line Managers
- Proactively work with HR Legal and update HRBPs and line managers on recent employment law legislative changes and developments
- To work closely with HR Business Partners and Region HR Legal to develop products, policies and processes to up-skill line managers in effectively dealing with ER matters.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Ensure the ER team within the cluster remains engaged, motivated and focused.
- Ensure resourcing plans are developed and implanted with review each budgeting cycle.
- Role model and champion the Bank's values and behaviors
- Qualified employment lawyer or ER specialist with approximately 8 years of relevant experience
- Complex case management experience
- Experience in managing employee representative bodies e.g. unions, works councils
- An appreciation of the local legislative and regulatory landscape
- Strong networker and organizational influencer
- Commercially astute
- Strong collaboration
- Professional legal background
- Good mixture of both ER specialist and HR Business Partner experience
- Experience of designing and delivering OD interventions
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.