- Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank
Business Operational Risk Manager, Global Banking
- Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
- Salary: Competitive
- Job Type: Full time
Business Operational Risk Manager, Global BankingAbout Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
• Responsible for understanding the Group's business strategy and its implications for the operational risk management role
• Responsible for maintaining an awareness of the wider business, economic and market environment in which the Group operates.
• Continuously evaluate and identify operational risk implications of business strategies and programmes, and provide guidance on any operational risk remediation with support from SORO and respective risk owners.
• Responsible for supporting Global Banking COO initiatives, driving adoption of initiatives at the country level.
The Business Operational Risk Manager must focus on Global Banking controls, governance and supervision at all times, and:
• Ensure that all material operational risks are identified, assessed, mitigated, monitored and reported to relevant governance forums
• Assist in managing the Global Banking Business Operational Risk Forum (BORF) in the country. Ensure absolute adherence to country BAU OR deadlines and effective business escalation from BORF to the Country and Group Non-Financial Risk Committees (CFRC), and the group Business Risk Committee (CCIBRC)
• Ensure risk ownership by Country Process Owners over centrally / GBS performed validation checks is retained at the country level - specifically ownership of residual risk evaluations and associated remediation activities
• Develop control enhancements to ensure that any known risks are controlled within acceptable boundaries and consistent standards.
• Ensure compliance with policies applicable to Global Banking which impact operational risk. Challenge processes, procedures and policy if there is a better way to do things, making BAU more effective.
• Escalate issues, blockages, challenges and trends to the regional lead, COO and business head when required
• Challenge / question business strategy with operational risk appetite and seek to optimise the business' risk-return profile.
• Mentor Global Banking staff across all segments on business controls, governance and supervision.
• Be the go-to person for the business, for all operational risk related incidents/queries/events that arise, and become a business 'Front to Back' subject matter expert in all Global Banking products offered by SCB in a market.
• Coordinate with stakeholders in the country and with other Global Banking Operational Risk Managers to increase transparency and share key learnings and best practice.
• Speak Out about emerging risks or Known-Unknowns
• Focus on Regulations, regulatory compliance and associated operational risks.
• Network extensively, and drive change / improvements.
People and Talent
• Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations and work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
Risk Identification and Control Effectiveness
• With the guidance and support from Risk Owner and Process Owner, continuously identify and evaluate (assess, mitigate, report and escalate) from a Global Banking perspective, operational risks arising for new products and new business, regulatory and thematic risks, and drive the implementation of appropriate controls and risk monitoring to mitigate these risks in business / country.
• Accountable for ensuring that Risk Acceptance Templates (RATs) are completed for material risks or control failures identified and passed to Senior Operational Risk Officer (SORO) for approval before submission to BORF, for subsequent support and acceptance in the Country / Group NFRC or CIBRC.
• Assist relevant stakeholders within the business and across functions in the management and implementation of the ORF and other relevant OR-related initiatives, including ensuring proper functioning of embedded and periodic controls.
• Be responsible for the implementation and execution of the Control Sample Testing (CST) process, where applicable, sampling and testing the population of controls to ensure compliance with agreed control standards and facilitating the monitoring/collection of any Key Control Indicators (KCIs). With the process owner ensure sign off on all new and amendments to existing CST's and that same are tabled at BORF and other governance forums.
• Be responsible for ensuring quality of information recorded in the risk tracking system (EORP) as well as ensuring accuracy, completeness of data and timely resolution of outstanding actions.
• Identify non-standard processes within the business, and ensure appropriate control mechanisms are implemented and monitored for effectiveness.
• Drive improvement in OR processes (through process improvement initiatives).
Loss Reporting and Investigation
• Support the business in minimizing operational risks and losses, and ensure material operational losses are investigated to prevent recurrence per group policy.
• Be responsible for recording operational errors that occur within business that result in financial losses, gains, near misses, reputational damage or danger to people or our reputation. Ensure that significant operational losses are escalated with appropriate root cause analysis completed.
• Perform reconciliation on a monthly basis on all EORP operational losses versus GL entries to ensure that all losses/recoveries are correct and / or accounted for on both sources and the Bank's books and records.
Audits and Reviews
• With the Senior Operational Risk Officer, ensure a RCA (Root Cause Analysis) is completed for any audit fail. Contribute towards achieving no fail results on all audits and reviews undertaken by Group Internal Audit, Country Audit, regulators and external auditors.
• Review findings / key themes; assist business to achieve resolution in line with business risk appetite.
• Act as coordinator for various internal/external audits/reviews and liaise with various stakeholders to ensure timely and accurate information is provided.
• Participate in periodic peer reviews subject to business need to ensure consistency of risk management approach and support the business by embedding best practice. This may involve travel to other markets to conduct such reviews and share best practice
• Responsible for providing guidance to the business on working towards an advanced MCA, driving improvements in year-on-year average MCA ratings.
• Responsible for tracking actions against audits / internal reviews / business peer reviews and reporting the status of these actions periodically to the appropriate governance forums.
• In tandem with the SORO / Country Compliance / Business, review new / revised regulations and implement new control measures and/or develop relevant and risk-based self-assessment checks for implementation in the business.
• Coordinate business continuity plans and ensure timely update and team awareness.
• Be the source of reference within the business in facilitating/promoting the understanding of Operational Risk and business relevant compliance/regulatory requirements.
• Identify knowledge gaps, facilitate development of training material, and arrange relevant business training on Operational Risk.
• Coordinate and lead the identification, presentation and resolution of Global Banking risk issues through local business risk forums (BORF/ CNFRC) to ensure there is adequate governance and oversight of operational risk.
• Be responsible for the effective running of Global Banking Business Operational Risk Forum (BORF).
• Be responsible for ensuring adequate governance and oversight over operational risk, through the escalation and appropriate resolution of relevant risk exposures to the Country and Group Non-Financial Risk Committee (CNFRC) as required.
Regulatory & Business conduct
• Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
• Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
• Lead the Global Banking team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles: [Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Operation of Global Banking; Financial Crime Prevention; The Right Environment.
• Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
• Embed the Bank's Valued Behaviours
• Global Banking Head - To provide validation that operational risk management within the business unit is effective in containing risks within understood levels.
• Business Unit Heads - Work closely, effectively and in a mentoring capacity to all staff that act in a business supervision capacity, to ensure that existing control processes and new control processes are clearly understood, and be the go-to person for when they have queries or when incidents occur.
• Senior Operational Risk Officer - To proactively engage and work collaboratively with the SORO to identify control weaknesses, improve processes and develop self-assessment checks.
• Country Audit Team - A strong Audit / Operational Risk partnership facilitates effective assurance through the alignment of controls and assurance with areas of most significant risk. Also have regular dialogue with audit team to be informed of results of reviews and audit activity
• Compliance - A strong Compliance / Operational Risk partnership facilitates effective oversight through the alignment of controls and independent oversight within areas of most significant risk. Also have regular dialogue with Business and Country Compliance teams to be informed of product changes, regulatory changes, new policies, compliance reviews and audits.
• GTO - Develop a strong working relationship with country, regional and Global Operations stakeholders so that business issues can be investigated end-to-end
Our Ideal Candidate
• Knowledge of Global Banking, Transaction Banking and Financial Markets products - to enable assessment of cross-business issues.
• Relevant business experience in operations, business analysis or project management.
• Clear understanding of the Bank's Operational Risk Framework or equivalent experience gained in other organisations.
• Demonstrated history of applying sound judgement with critical thinking skills and courage necessary to perform a control role and maintain effective working relationships.
• Strong analytical skills, detail-focused with the ability to interpret large volume of information.
• Problem solving skills with ability to influence across all levels of business.
• Ability to independently drive initiatives with minimum hands-on supervision.
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.