Africa Regional Head - China Corridor, Global Banking
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
Primary role is to Outline strategy, drive execution and coordinate overall relationship and revenue profitability from the Chinese Client portfolio, both from existing clients and through new client acquisition across Sub Saharan Africa. The position is based in Johannesburg.
Directly to Regional Head Global Subsidiaries, Africa (RH - GS Africa) with a matrix line to GB Head China & Belt and Road Head, Hong Kong.
The Role Responsibilities
Origination, Credit and Control:
• Assist the RH GS Africa & work along with existing country GS heads, RMs and China corridor bankers to develop & Execute strategy of growth for the Chinese Corporate Business across Africa.
• Responsible for Origination and work closely with the Local Relationship Manager (RMs) teams (along with Credit Analysts (CAs) and Client Coverage Managers (CCMs)) in AFRICA in deepening relationships and driving revenue growth in the Chinese Portfolio.
• Whilst majority of the accounts will be managed by country RMs, corridor RMs and FAMs, the individual will also be directly responsible as a Regional Account Manager (RM) for some accounts.
• Ensure quality pitches to clients, along with RMs, where appropriate. Assist the RM (or drive
individually for allocated accounts) to deliver a deal from origination to final closure.
• Senior client calling on the Chinese Portfolio and briefing on a regular basis for account maintenance and deal negotiation.
• Engage senior internal stakeholders for thought leadership events, credit and any other pertinent issues.
• Increase engagement levels with Global Account Managers (GAMs), Belt & Read team based in SCB China and Hong Kong to strengthen group level relationships, deliver on the Africa opportunities and to seamlessly cover subsidiaries of Global Chinese names active in Africa.
• Stakeholder engagement: Lead key stakeholder engagement including B & R team, GS Heads in country, GS Colleagues in other regions, GAMs, GB Heads and CEO's.
• Reputation Risk and Focus on Controls - Proactively manage reputation, FCC and AML risk on the portfolio across markets. Client On boarding & Deal Execution:
• Work with CAs to obtain pre-deal clearances & ensure timely delivery.
• Oversee CCM to ensure smooth on-boarding of client after thorough completion of documentation and other processes.
• Work with product partners to deliver effective cross sell, wallet sizing and comprehensive account plans.
• Successfully negotiate and close out pricing and other deal dynamics with client
• Oversee the quality & turnaround of credit proposal and ensure faster delivery. Work with CA's for resolving Credit queries.
• Have/ Develop an understanding of the banking regulations / compliance requirements in India
• Facilitate / Liaise with CDU/ External Legal counsel, where required, in preparation and execution of Non Standard Documentation
• Account Management / Portfolio Quality
• Ensure full compliance on CDD/AML matters related to portfolio
• Have an oversight on risk & overall accountability of the credit quality in the portfolio. Key Objectives:
• Maximizing Revenue - deliver on GS Africa China corridor budget (including RoRWA)
• Minimal / Nil Provisioning. Proactively manage accounts on Early Alert.
• Effective Cross Sell and look for deeper mining on FM, Project Finance and Txn Banking revenues.
• People Management: Manage the Africa team of corridor bankers including training, skill supplement, career development and Motivation / morale themes.
• New clients addition & franchise building for the Chinese Portfolio
• Quality of calling including ideating deals originated
• Quality of portfolio including Credit and other hygiene factors.
Our Ideal Candidate
• Chartered Accountant / Chartered Financial analyst / MBA (Finance) / Degree in Economics / Finance (preferred)
• Hands on experience in (i) Credit risk assessment (ii) Accounting / Audit (iii) Balance sheet analysis (iv) Good written and Oral communication skills (both in English and Mandarin)
• Good knowledge and experience of dealing with Chinese Corporates (both State Owned Enterprises & Privately-owned enterprises) with product knowledge in areas of Financial Markets, Lending, Project and Corporate Finance, Trade finance and Cash management.
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages .