Sr. Software Engineer - Java (Aladdin Platform), Associate
Description About this role
Are you interested in building innovative technology that shapes financial markets? Do you like working at the speed of a startup but want to tackle some of the world's most complex problems? Do you want to work with, and learn from, hands-on leaders in technology and finance?
At BlackRock, we are looking for Sr. Software Engineers
who like to innovate and solve complex problems. We recognize that strength comes from diversity, and will embrace your unique skills, curiosity, and passion while giving you the opportunity to grow technically and as an individual.
We invest and protect over $7 trillion (USD) of assets and have an extraordinary responsibility to our clients all over the world. Our technology empowers millions of investors to save for retirement, pay for college, buy a home and improve their financial well-being.
Being a technologist at BlackRock means you get the best of both worlds: working for one of the most advanced financial companies and also being part of a software development team responsible for next generation technology and solutions.
This role will be responsible for all aspects of software development, testing and ensuring compatibility with enterprise and solutions architecture by harnessing modern development technologies
You will have the chance to define and develop new capabilities and engage with multiple development teams and partners across the Aladdin Product Group. You are:
- Curious and eager to learn new things, with a healthy disrespect for the status quo
- Willing to embrace work outside of your comfort zone, and open to guidance from others; you make mistakes, but learn from them
- Passionate about technology, with personal ownership for the work you do
- Data-focused, with an eye for the details that matter to tackle the problem
- Passionate about building reliable software and scaling technology to meet the needs of tomorrow
- Building solutions for both BlackRock and over 100 organizations who use our technology
- Developing in Java, Python, Cassandra, Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes and other technologies
- Committed to open source and contributing back to the community
- Writing testable software every day with a focus on incremental innovation
The team is looking for an ambitious, full-stack software developer to work on an exciting strategic product to expand our Aladdin Platform. Working with a global team, you will be part of an outstanding group of engineers setting and evolving the technology direction for our internal developer systems and SDLC. You will be passionate about all aspects of enterprise software development - quality, performance, security, usability and maintainability. As a key member of our engineering team, you will be encouraged to bring your ideas forward to help shape the technical solutions. You will need to have excellent interpersonal skills and be comfortable presenting your ideas to inquisitive senior leaders.
This position will be focused on full-stack Java development and will have exposure to industry-standard technologies, such as Angular, Hibernate, Spring, GIT/ADO, Node, Spark, Solr, Cassandra and more. The role will also afford the chance to learn about the financial industry, specifically the complex world of risk management, valuations and operations. Responsibilities include:
- Work alongside project managers, technical architects and product leads to build software that drives engineering practices, developer systems and SDLC transformation.
- Collaborate with team members in a multi-office, multi-country environment.
- Develop and maintain strategic operational systems, tools and processes, including participation in tactical and strategic development projects.
- Understand and refine business and functional requirements.
- Ensure software stability via documenting, code reviews, regression, unit and user acceptance testing so production operations run successfully.
- Partner with internal teams to keep environments healthy, including triage and support when necessary.
- 5+ years Java developer with experience building large-scale systems
- Effective communication skills, including an ability to work across teams
- Experience driving development initiatives and collaborating within complex organizations
- Experience with open-source tools (Spring, Apache, JBoss, Maven, JUnit, etc.).
- Experience with of relational databases, data modeling, etc. Sybase experience appreciated
- Strong understanding of SDLC and how to build for testability, reliability and rapid deployments (including experience with CI/CD)
- Beneficial to have experience with cloud solutions (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform, etc.) and cloud orchestration
- Good to have knowledge on Linux Container like Docker, LXC, CoreOS, rkt, etc. and orchestration platforms like Kubernetes, docker swarm and compose, etc.
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
BlackRock's purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of June 30, 2020, the firm managed approximately $7.32 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.